Contact us for specialist legal advice on pensions, covering issues from auto-enrolment to restructuring. Our lawyers have the expertise to help you.
Our Pensions department is one of the largest in the South of England; the outstanding breadth and experience of our practice makes us the undisputed market leader in the Thames Valley region. It comes as no surprise therefore that our legal expertise is top-ranked in the Thames Valley region by both Legal 500 and Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession.
Who Do Pitmans’ Pensions Lawyers Work For?
We act for employers, trustees, insolvency practitioners and other pensions professionals.
Do Pitmans’ Pensions Lawyers Have Any Particular Areas of Expertise?
We operate across a broad range of sectors. However, our pensions solicitors have seen particular activity this past year in certain specialist areas, offering expert pension advice to clients throughout the UK on issues such as DC master trusts, pension scheme mergers, and scheme apportionment arrangements.
Our legal services for pension schemes include:
- Auto-Enrolment: we advise employers on staging dates and whether their existing pension schemes are qualifying schemes for the purposes of automatic pension enrolment and any amendments that can ensure compliance. We provide advice on the options of transitional periods, opting out, opting in, contractual enrolment, postponement, salary sacrifice and flexible benefits for those employers implementing auto-enrolment. We also advise on categorising the work force in preparation for implementing auto-enrolment and the information and consultation requirements required by the auto-enrolment regime
- Documentation: deeds, rules and other documents – in plain English and often on a fixed-fee basis
- Restructuring: advice on benefit changes within schemes, including closure to future accrual and the addition of DC sections; also section 75 debt and clearance issues where it is the group that is restructuring
- Projects: advice to achieve special projects; merging schemes; transfers between schemes; winding-up and PPF entry
- De-risking: advice on the legal side of enhanced transfer value exercises; pension exchange and settlements, such as buy-in or buy-out
- Contingent assets: providing the necessary documentation and advice to put in place guarantees, charges and letters of credit in favour of schemes
- Executive pensions: niche specialism in SIPPs, SSASs, QROPs and EFRBS
- General advice: this includes legal and regulatory compliance; trustees’ powers and duties; and discrimination, in particular sex and age
- Corporate transactions: due diligence; pensions warranties and agreements; and clearance applications
- Pensions contracts: reviewing administration and investment management agreements
Why Choose Pitmans’ Pensions Lawyers?
Our advice is practical, pragmatic and delivered promptly. Our pension lawyers work in harmony with clients’ other professional advisers. We blend professionalism and technical excellence with a personal touch. To achieve our clients’ goals, we focus on finding solutions, not obstacles, while delivering real value for money.
At Pitmans we strive to keep our clients fully up to date with legal and regulatory developments; regular technical training ensures we can anticipate and meet the challenges of the future. Our team is close-knit, stable and has strength in depth. We identify key issues and deliver clear advice. We seek to build similarly strong relationships with our clients.